Monday, December 1, 2008

Putting up the tree

Yes, Kade decorated the tree in the buff











The finished product


I don't know what it is about putting up a Christmas tree that stresses me out so much. I know it is supposed to be a warm fuzzy time that bring the family together to do this thing once a year.But.... for some reason this never happens in our family. LOL

Randy had to work so he did wrestle the tree box out of the basement before he left so I need to thank him for that. He then made his exit and I started trying to wrestle the tree out of the box. A couple of years ago we bought a big pre-lit tree and I love it. It is in 3 big parts and it is heavy! I got the stand and the first part inserted and then I noticed that about every third branch the light didn't work. Oh well I thought, you wont notice when it is decorated. Well then I get the middle part inserted and a part of it didn't work either. I didn't mention that it took both me and Megan to get the middle section out of the box because it was so heavy. I am starting to get a little angry now. Then I put in the top part and the whole tip didn't work. You cant have a Christmas tree where there are no lights on the top. Megan did find one plug that I missed in the middle that lit up a few more branches. Do I push in every bulb that doesn't work, do I strip off all of the lights and put my own on, or do I just put my own lights on the branches that don't work. I opted for the last option.Theres nothing like putting lights on a pre-lit tree. It will just be a nightmare taking the tree down.( I wont think about that now) I had this grand idea( me and my ideas) last year to do my tree in red and white this year so I bought new red and white bulbs after Christmas when all the sales were going on. The girls were then mad because they wanted to put all of the old ornaments on that they use every year. I convinced them how pretty is was going to be and they were then halfway fine with that. Kade had gotten his outfit dirty during dinner and someone had stripped him. Meanwhile while I was wrestling with the tree he had taken his diaper off. I thought in the back of my mind" I need to go put a diaper on him" but instead I asked Kaitlyn to take him potty.( he likes to do that)and went on doing what I was doing. Yes you can probably guess what happened. I had to clean up a mess.
I didn't have any hooks for the new ornaments so Kaitlyn cut and tied ribbon on each one. The kids took turns putting on the balls.Kade threw his in the tree like a baseball.
Needless to say the tree was put up and decorated when Randy came home from work.The finished product turned out very pretty. Maybe when the time comes to take it down we could just wrestle it down the basement steps,stuff it in a corner and throw a sheet over it. hmmmmmm


7 comments:

Aimee said...

I had to laugh at the sight of him decorating the tree in the buff!!!!!! So funny!

Michele said...

I laughed out loud when I saw that picture of Kade! Too funny! I think we should start a club, "Christmas Tree Light Haters Annoymous" "Hi, I'm Michele and it's been 5 hours since I last screamed and threw a royal fit around the house over those stupid lights!"

Anonymous said...

Heather, I understand the stress, but I thought it to be funny. Hey, do what we do,I have't decorated a tree in years,And every one stay's it's beauitful every year and ask is your tree new! I have to smile ;) just but it in a great big,big bag and under it a towel and drag it to the place you keep it. That's what i do,and it has work great.

Unknown said...

Your tree is so pretty! The picture of Kade "cracked" me up.

The Going Blog said...

That is priceless of Cade. Somehow I can see this being used at his wedding reception powerpoint show :-) Maybe those prelit trees aren't all that. Who knew! Great post and I love Michele's comment too. Merry Christmas! (when you get around to feeling like it) ha

Jenny said...

LOL Heather! That is a CLASSIC! Perfect black mail for when he gets a girlfriend!! I love it!

Jenny said...

Heather, I made my previous comment before I read your post. LOL HOW FUNNY! I had the SAME experience! I opted for taking down the huge strand that didn't work (on my prelit tree) and replaced them with a new strand(twist ties and all). It was a nightmare, an all afternoon long nightmare!!! I was ready to take that stupid tree to the curb and trash it! Mine did however, turn out very pretty as yours did but, you aren't the only one with the Christmas tree frustrations!! Pre lit trees are over rated, especially when it's their 3rd christmas. The first 2 years were great!